Originally created by Perpetual Page Turner, this survey is to look back on everything you read during the year and seeing as I actually read some things, I thought I’d join in! Found out about it through my friend Alice’s blog (The Geeky Burrow). 🙂
If you’re wondering why I’m doing this now and not when the year has ended, it’s because I’m taking a small break from books–well, sort of. I’m going to spend the remaining 13 days reading about Tolkien which is something I’ve been putting off for a long time.
2016 Reading Stats
Number Of Books You Read: According to Goodreads it’s 75, which sounds super impressive but it’s mostly comics and graphic novels
Number of Re-Reads: 0
Genre You Read The Most From: Fantasy
Best in Books
1. Best Book You Read In 2016?
Combining The Way of Kings and Words of Radiance because HOOOOOOLY SHIIIIIT, they’re so good. They’re from Brandon Sanderson’s epic-fantasy series, The Stormlight Archive, and they’re massive books (think LOTR-massive) but in my opinion soooo worth the time to read. The third book should be out next year!
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
It kills me to say this but I’m going with The Neverending Story by Michael Ende. I watched the movie dozens of times as a kid so I thought I would love the book but it took me over a year (embarrassing) to finish it.
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?
American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang. I can’t say much without spoiling it, but there are three stories going on in this graphic novel that tie together at the end. My mind was kinda blown.
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?
The Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson!! I recommended it to at least 5 people this year and I see myself recommending it for the rest of my life, soooo good, you guys, so good.
5. Best series you started in 2016? Best Sequel of 2016? Best Series Ender of 2016?
(You might be sick of reading Sanderson’s name by the end of this post, I’m sorry.)
Best series is definitely The Stormlight Archive.
Best sequel goes to Words of Radiance.
Best series ender? Hmm. The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson. It’s the final book in the first Mistborn series and it left me feeling so hallow but in the best way possible.
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2016?
Ha. You guess.
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
I feel like I stayed within my comfort zone this year which is something I want to change up in 2017.
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
THE WAY OF KINGS AND THE WORDS OF RADIANCE.
I’m also going to add Through the Woods by Emily Carroll. It’s a graphic novel with five stories, the art is beautiful, the stories are extremely creepy/scary and you’ll have a hard time putting it down without finishing it.
9. Book You Read In 2016 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
Probably the Saga comics. Saga is the most bizarre comic series I’ve ever read and the story is amazing, the art is great–there were pages I stayed on for a long time just because I wanted to look at every detail–and the characters are complex and interesting.
It’s definitely for a mature reader though, don’t hand it to your kid, that’s all I’m saying.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2016?
All of the covers for the Fables comics. That’s an acceptable answer, right?
11. Most memorable character of 2016?
Vin from Mistborn. I love her.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2016?
Hmmmmmm. Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi.
13. Most Thought-Provoking/Life-Changing Book of 2016?
Going with Persepolis for the thought-provoking part of the question and Misborn for life-changing because wow that series really opened up my year to reading.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2016 to finally read?
The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle. Such a weird story but also such a great story.
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2016?
To be honest, nothing comes to mind.
16. Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2016?
Relying on Goodreads for this one.
Shortest: Jem and the Holograms #2 (34 pages)
Longest: The Way of Kings (1087 pages)
17. Book That Shocked You The Most
Words of Radiance, I can’t even tell you how many times I needed to put the book down to calm myself.
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
Vin and Elend from Mistborn. ❤
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
Locke Lamora and Jean Tannen from the Gentleman Bastard series.
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2016 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
Avatar: The Last Airbender – The Search written by Gene Luen Yang. So many questions were answered!
21. Best Book You Read In 2016 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
Mistboooorn! Kept seeing it all over the place within the online book community.
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2016?
Uhhhh, maybe Waxillium (fantasy authors and the names they think of istg) from the Mistborn (Wax & Wayne) series. I didn’t really develop any literary crushes this year.
23. Best 2016 debut you read?
Adulthood is a Myth by Sarah Andersen!!!
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
*yells in your face* THE STORMLIGHT ARCHIVE BY BRANDON SANDERSON.
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
On Broadway: From Rent to Revolution by Drew Hodges. Oh man, this was such a blast to read! It’s about a theatre advertising agency, Spotco, and the shows they designed for. I’m a designer and massive musical theatre fan so this is the perfect book for me. I loved learning the stories about how some of my favorite shows got their “look”.
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2016?
The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson. Oh, I cried. I full-on cried at the end.
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly. I picked it up from a used bookshop one day not really knowing what it’s about because I liked the cover. I recently finished it and I’m super surprised at how much I enjoyed reading it! It only took me a day.
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
The Secret History by Brandon Sanderson. So many things happened that made my soul hurt.
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2016?
I’m going to go with Saga again.
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad
I don’t think there were any books that made me mad this year.
Your Blogging/Bookish Life
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2016?
I don’t really read book blogs. Should I? I probably should. I read Tor.com‘s blog sometimes, does that count?
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2016?
Lol, I don’t write reviews. I suck at them.
3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
I’M A BAD BLOGGER.
4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
Ugh, there was a Brandon Sanderson signing I reeeeaaalllyyyy wanted to go to but it was over an hour’s drive away and I’m lazy.
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2016?
Discovering Brandon Sanderson. How many times have I written Brandon Sanderson in this post?
6. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year?
Finding a comfortable position to read while standing and riding the subway. It’s a precise art.
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog?
Ha, I don’t know. I never check my stats.
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
Did I even post this year? lbr
9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
Housing Works Bookstore in Manhattan! It’s a really cool, chill bookstore/cafe. I highly recommend going there, can’t believe I only discovered it this year.
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
I completed my Goodreads Reading Challenge (which was 25 books), I’ll probably up it a lot more for 2017.
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2016 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2017?
Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (it won’t be my #1 priority but it’ll be up there).
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2017 (non-debut)?
Oathbringer (Stormlight Archive #3) by Brandon Sanderson!!!!!
3. 2017 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
No one comes to mind.
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2017?
See #2. :))))
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2017?
Write more book-related blog posts and get through a lot of my TBR list. You should see all of the unread books on my shelves, it’s embarrassing.
6. A 2017 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone:
HERE’S TO A GREAT READING YEAR IN 2017