I found this musical theatre tag post and felt a very strong need to do it too. If you don’t already know, I love musicals, soundtracks and scores are some of the only music I listen to and it’s a shame I’m an absolutely horrible singer otherwise I’d sing all the time around everyone.
1. What was the first musical you ever saw?
Either 42nd Street or Beauty and the Beast, I can’t remember which came first. I’m like… 76% sure it was 42nd Street.
2. What was your favorite musical growing up?
Rent!!! I first became a fan in 5th grade when my music teacher had everyone in my grade sing “Seasons of Love” for a concert and it still is my favorite musical.
3. Were you ever in a musical?
Only the ones I was forced to be in in elementary school. I don’t act, sing or dance, it’s a travesty.
4. What was the first musical you saw on Broadway?
*see question no. 1*
5. If you could be any female character in any musical who would you be and why?
Nina from In the Heights because she’s intelligent, strong, loving, beautiful and ends up with Benny who is also wonderful (I am not an actor so I’m not choosing characters I’d want to play, just characters I would like to actually be).
6. Which male character?
Ha, my first thought was: “Okay, I need to pick someone whose life doesn’t suck.” Maybe Simba. Because lions.
7. Favorite musical song to sing in the shower?
I can’t answer this because it changes constantly. One day it could be “Take Me or Leave Me” from Rent, “What I Did for Love” from A Chorus Line, “What Is this Feeling?” from Wicked or aaaanything else. It’s just whatever is on my mind at the time.
8. Who is your favorite theatre actress?
I really love Lea Salonga because she’s fantastic, she was the singing voice for MULAN and also Filipino pride!! There’s also Idina Menzel and Patina Miller.
Favorites include Jose Llana, James Monroe Iglehart, John Gallagher Jr., and Norm Lewis.
(I’m only choosing actors/actresses I’ve seen)
10. Favorite film adaptation of a musical?
RENT. The best part about that movie is that so many of the original cast was cast. Actual theater actors! If only more film adaptations were like that…*cough*LesMiserables*cough*
11. What do you think is most underrated musical?
Violet, I was really surprised with how much I loved that show. Disappointed it’s not on Broadway anymore. Other choices are Shrek the Musical (it was amazing, take my word for it), Spring Awakening, and The Drowsy Chaperone.
12. Overrated musical?
I don’t know, maybe Wicked.
13. What musical made you cry?
- Fun Home
- Les Miserables
- Next to Normal
- Spring Awakening
14. What musical made you laugh?
- The Drowsy Chaperone
- Something Rotten!
- Book of Mormon
- Shrek the Musical
15. Are there any musicals you saw and hated?
I wouldn’t say I hated any musicals, but ones that I didn’t like include: Leap of Faith and Spider-man: Turn Off the Dark.
16. What musical do you want to see as a film?
- Spring Awakening
- In the Heights
- Kinky Boots (I know it was a film, but I want a musical version!)
- Matilda (I want a musical version of this too!)
- Next to Normal
17. Which musicals are you dying to see?
On Broadway now:
- The King and I
Shows I want revived:
- Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat
- Miss Saigon
- Little Shop of Horrors
18. Any movie or book you think should be turned into a musical?
The Prince of Egypt, The Princess Bride and Moulin Rouge.
19. What is your all-time favourite musical?
RENT RENT RENT