There has been a slight change in plans for my trip to New Zealand. Instead of going at the end of 2016, I am going at the beginning. In January. Yeah. That is less than a year away and I don’t know what to do with myself! After talking with my mom we concluded it would be better this way which is FINE by me because that means I’m that much closer to Middle-earth! But it also means I have lots of planning to do in a shorter amount of time.
I have done research on different tours that are available and in the end I chose Red Carpet Tours. I already sent in my deposit. I’m that ready.
I chose RCT for the following reasons:
- It lasts for TWO WEEKS! That is two weeks of pure joy
- I will be with the same group of people the entire time which is great because I’m flying to NZ alone
- The cost of the tour includes hotel accommodation and transportation
- The tour includes the North and South Islands
- There is so much awesome stuff included in the 14 days! Hobbiton, the Weta Cave, Jens Hansen, Fangorn, Edoras…SO MUCH. And I absolutely cannot wait
- There are also other optional activities you can choose, like visiting South Rivendell, kayaking down the same river of the barrel scene, being able to hold Herugrim and the shards of Narsil and so much more!
I’m having a hard time deciding what I am the most excited for. Obviously there’s Hobbiton and we all already know I will be a sobbing mess when I’m there. It’s inevitable. But maaaaaaaan the Weta Cave! I want to buy SO MUCH STUFF. Okay but mostly I just want to look at everything. And take photos of everything. And touch everything. Also, being able to be in the same room as Daniel Reeve? “If I’m lucky, Mr. Talent will rub his tentacles all over my art.” Four for you if you get that reference.
I am also preparing myself for when I get to see all the other movie locations. Next to Hobbiton, my favorite Middle-earth location is Edoras. I love the architecture (especially in Meduseld), the music, all of it! Yeah yeah I know the set is no longer there, but just to be in the same spot will be overwhelming. As with the other places like Fangorn, Trollshaws, Mordor… I’m getting goosebumps just thinking about it.
Since I’ll be in NZ in January, it will be summer there. And when I did a little research the summer there doesn’t seem to be the kind of summer I’m used to. When I see the outfits people wear during that time of the year, it’s a mixture of a lot of stuff. Shorts, sweaters, light jackets, boots, tights, tank tops, t shirts, long sleeves…WHAT DO I PACK? All of it? It looks like all of it.
I don’t want to jinx anything because I still have about a year until this all happens. I still haven’t gotten my plane tickets yet….I saved a spot on a tour without securing a spot on a plane. Priorities are in check.